I bought this Mixte framed 12 speed Schwinn Traveler at a garage sale in 1998. It had been purchased new in 1985 by a lady who rode it a few times and then found that she had physical problems and could not ride it. It came with a full helmet, owners manual, Schwinn Lightweight 1985 catalog, and receipt of sale for $385. It is near mint, with only a couple of light step-over scratches on the single top tube. The following was taken directly from the catalog:
"The Traveler will take you anywhere in style and comfort. Quality features like 12 speeds, cushion grips and alloy rims make this a value loaded bicycle.
It is very well equipped with bottle cage and bottle, computer, chain stay guard, a chain holder to allow easy wheel removal, quick release hubs, and stainless steel dropout and axle mounting surfaces to prevent scratching the paint. I have replaced the original seat with a gel seat and added an alloy Greenfield side stand and Schwinn parcel rack. To make the bike more suitable for my wife Jane, I installed a Zoom adjustable angle stem and bar mounted thumb shift levers. The Schwinn tires are original and in excellent condition, and have a raised rib on center of higher durometer rubber than the rest of the tire. I have seen a few other Traveler models but none were the quality of this bike. All the components are alloy and of good quality. A page out of the catalog showing the man's version can be seen by clicking on; CATALOG PAGE. I hope you enjoyed looking at this bike and I welcome your comments.
- Sugino alloy cotterless crankset...one piece forged, light weight, durable.
- Dia-Compe brakes...are short reach for mechanical efficiency with quick release, extension livers, lined cable housing and a recessed front bolt.
- Maillard alloy quck release hubs...sealed against dust and moisture.
- Double butted chrome-moly tubing...for lighter weight.
- Dual hard skinwall tires...better handling and faster riding."
RETURN TO SCHWINN GALLERY
RETURN TO BIKE COLLECTION DIRECTORY
RETURN TO SITE DIRECTORY